I’ve recently had to install freeglut as part of a uni subject and ran across an issue due to the fact that I’m running Vista x64 and wanted to dynamically link freeglut against anything I develop during the semester. First of all, building freeglut (version 2.4.0) was problem free. I simply opened
freeglut.dsw (in the root directory of the freeglut download) in Visual Studio 2005 (VS2005), agreed to convert the project files to a newer format, and then built the solution. An additional step I took, which may be completely unnecessary, was to change the build type from Debug to Release. Both build types built fine, but I used the release versions as I doubt I will be debugging freeglut. Also note that I compiled this as the default 32-bit, not 64-bit, as I’m building 32-bit GLUT apps for compatibility.
Once this was done, I followed the info in
README.win32 (in the freeglut directory) and copied the files to the relevant directories. The specific directories I used for a Vista x64 system with VS2005 were as follows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\Include\gl.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\Lib. Note that the correct destination should already contain
- Now here’s the part that caused me problems: copy
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and NOT
C:\Windows\System32 as you might expect, given that it’s a 32-bit library being used in 32-bit projects
Once the files are in place, you should be ready to use freeglut in your apps. To do so, simply include freeglut as follows:
As you can see, we’re referencing
glut.h and not
freeglut.h. My guess is that this is done to maintain platform independence if your code was being built by a different incarnation of GLUT. For example I used this method to build and run the test app provided by my lecturer (unchanged), who uses the original GLUT.
***UPDATE 2009-02-27 ***
I copied the files I built on my Vista x64 machine to a 32-bit install of XP SP3 on my laptop and GLUT worked fine. The only difference to the above instructions (obviously aside from not building freeglut again) is to copy
C:\Windows\System32. I’ve also put together a zip package of my build for anybody who wants to avoid building themselves.
I just wanted to give a shout out to Apple customer support. My Macbook Pro recently started powering off without warning while the OS was still reporting 30-50% battery remaining. As it’s still under an extended warranty through David Jones (i.e. not Apple care), it went to The Mac Doctors for an appraisal. They reported it was a battery fault, which understandably, my extended warranty doesn’t cover. The Mac Doctors also asked Apple if they’d come to the party and replace it for me, given that the battery had only cycled 59 times (apparently after 250 cycles is when you should expect your battery to be dead) and it wasn’t a straight forward case of not holding charge. Apple declined to come to the party when asked by The Mac Doctors, however The Mac Doctors advised me to call Apple personally and explain myself. Taking their advice, I called Apple. After a brief conversation with a general support guy, I was put on hold for a bit (not too long) before I was forwarded to a product specialist. After confirming some details about the battery, as well as explaining that I’d installed any updates from Apple, the product specialist informed me that my battery was prone to failure more often than it should. He then went on to say that becuase I updated regularly, the only explanation was a somewhat known hardware failure, which meant Apple would replace the battery for me.
In addition to the excellent outcome, both of the support guys I spoke to were very professional, polite and patient. As well as Apple support being excellent, The Mac Doctors must also be given “mad props” for going to the trouble of asking Apple to cover the battery, and then advising me to talk to them myself. So to everyone involved, thank you muchly, and well done.
Partly due to laziness, and partly due to me still working out the kinks, I never included this stuff in my original post on setting up an OpenSolaris fileserver.
In order to save physical space and make your server more accessible, it can be a good idea to setup a VNC server so you can control it remotely without having to have a monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in. This is a fairly straight forward procedure and I hope to outline it for you now.
First of all, you’re going to need the software. This can be obtained from sunfreeware.com. Simply search for x11vnc and download the binary package, which at the time of writing is x11vnc-0.7-sol10-intel-local.gz. There is a note there on the dependencies that must be installed for this to work, however I believe these were already installed for me, but your mileage may vary. Once you’ve downloaded the gzip file, you should be able to extract the contents by simply double clicking the downloaded file and then dragging the contents somewhere (e.g. the desktop). Now, RTFM. It’s only two lines, so I’ll repeat it here for you =P