Since I built my file server (now running FreeBSD after a stint with Mythbuntu) I’ve used a variety of front ends to view all of the juicy media stored on it. My second most recent front-end was a re-purposed Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with a broken screen. It ran Windows 7 with Windows MCE and a Microsoft MCE remote. It was dead easy to setup, requiring only that I plugged in a HDMI cable and the IR receiver, and provided some media locations from the comfort of my couch. Unfortunately, the terrible WiFi performance meant that video often lagged for brief periods of time, or at its worst, stopped playing altogether. After a few months of frustration, I decided to try out Linux Mint Debian Edition to see if it performed better, given that all of the other WiFi connections in the house worked well. It did. So far I’ve been very happy with the whole system, so I thought I’d share how I got here. A warning now: if you’re not comfortable with basic Linux commands and editing configuration files by hand, then you should probably stick to Windows or Mac. Having said that, attempting things beyond your current skill level is how you learn. If you get really stuck, you can always post a comment and I’ll see if I can help you out.