New Language Instead of Autocomplete in IDE

While messing around with a personal project in Eclipse, I attempted to use the Visual Studio keyboard shortcut for autocomplete (ctrl + space). Rather than completing the variable name I had started typing, it began trying to convert my keyboard input into Chinese characters. At first I thought this might have been some idiosyncrasy of Eclipse. After a little research I discovered that Eclipse does in fact use ctrl + space for autocomplete, but Windows (bless its soul for trying to help) was hijacking the shortcut and using it to change languages. For anyone in a similar situation, here’s how you fix it in Windows 7:

  1. Open Control Panel -> Region and Language
  2. Select the “Keyboards and Languages” tab
  3. Click the “Change keyboards…” button
  4. Select the “Advanced Key Settings”

You should now see a list of actions and keyboard shortcuts. For each action that has a conflicting keyboard action, select it and click the “Change Key Sequence…” button. Here you can either change the action to have no shortcut at all, or give it an alternate shortcut. Keep clicking OK until you’re out of the menus. Immediately the keyboard shortcut stopped switching my language, and after a restart of Eclipse, started autocompleting. Simple!

References:
social.answers.microsoft.com

Google Chrome on Windows 7 RC1

This is just a quick post for anyone having difficulties getting Chrome to run on Windows 7 RC1. After installing Chrome, as soon as I tried to load a page it would either do nothing, or show me an “Aw Snap” page telling me something had gone wrong. As a result, the browser was completely useless. A quick search revealed that users can subscribe to one of three different Chrome channels. These channels are basically the three main builds of Chrome at a given time, which are: stable, beta, and dev. The quick solution to my problem was to switch over to the beta channel, which immediately fixed my problem. As proof, I’m currently writing this post using Chrome =D. Given that Windows 7 is still only at RC1, it’s not surprising that the stable build of Chrome doesn’t work with it (at least not for everyone).

As a side note, you should definitely check out Chrome Experiments to see some of the funky stuff people have done in browsers. The examples I’ve looked at also work in Firefox, so don’t worry if you don’t have Chrome installed.

Windows 7 RC1

After hearing a few people mention Windows 7 RC1 over the last week, my curiosity was piqued. I had heard and seen a bit about Windows 7 up until this point, however my busy schedule forced me to ignore the prospect of playing with it. I’m now glad to say that this post is being written with the aid of Windows 7 RC1. Not only that, but it is now the sole operating system on my main machine at home. That’s right folks, I blew Vista away yesterday without so much as a kiss goodbye and I haven’t regretted it for a second.

I don’t plan on doing a lengthy review or how-to now (or probably ever), I just wanted to share how easy it was to move to Windows 7 from Vista. First things first, you need to get yourself a copy of RC1. To do that, visit Microsoft’s download page and follow the links to download it. You’ll have to choose between the 32 and 64-bit options (I chose 64-bit) and you will also be asked to sign-in with a Hotmail, Messenger, Passport or Live account to proceed. Once you’ve jumped through the hoops, you’ll be given a product key and can start the download. At just over 3GB, you may be waiting a little while. Once that’s done, you’re ready to install!
Continue reading